This puzzle is from "The Moscow Puzzles" by Boris Kodemsky is from another era - when there were things like clocks which need to be wound each day. If not they would stop. The puzzle goes like this.
I have a wall clock which is the only source for knowing the time in my house. One day I forgot to wind the clock and it stopped. Luckily, I have a friend whose clock shows the correct time always.
I walk down to his house, see the time in his clock, stay for a while and come back. Now I know the time and adjust my clock. It is is showing the correct time again.
How did I do that?
Answer: I wind up the clock before leaving the house and set it at 12 o'clock. It starts running. When I go to my friend's house I notice the time. And just before leaving the house, I also see the time.
When I come back, I see the time on my clock.
That will show the total time elapsed since I left home.
Now since I know the time in my friend's house as soon as I enter his house and just before I left his house, I know exactly how much time I spent there.
I subtract this time from the time elapsed. I get the total time walking to and from friend's house.
I divide it by 2. I get the time required to walk down from his house.
Now I can set the time on my clock as the time on my friend's clock while I was leaving his home plus the time I used to walk from his house.
Solution to puzzle 14 Huh, sending more money would have been much easier than this puzzle. SEND MORE MONEY We have to find values for S,E,N,D,M,O,R,Y (8 digits out of 10). Now, we're adding two 4-digits numbers. Since 9999+9999 < 20000, M cannot be >=2. And by the "usual rules" for this kind of question, it can't be 0. So M=1 . Now, looking at the fourth (left-most) column, we have either S+1>=10 (if there's no carry) or 1+S+1>=10 (if there's carry). So S=8 or 9 , and O=0 or 1 . Since 1 is already taken, O=0 In the third column, we can't have E+0=N (no carry), so E+1=N and there's carry from the second column. So in the second column either N+R=10+E=9+N, and R=9, or there's carry and 1+N+R=10+E=9+N, and R=8. So R=8 or 9 , just like S. IF S=8 and R=9,we're looking at 8END + 109E ====== 10NEY But this cannot possibly work: we need to get either E+0=10+N or 1+E+0=10+N i...
Solution: First and last chests have treasure in them. Explanation : Message 1 says that middle chest has treasure. Since all messages are false, middle chest has no treasre. Message 2 says that all these chests have treasure. Which means at least one of them does not have treasure (and has poison). Which is middle chest. Message 3 says that only one of the chests has treasure. As this is false, more than one of the chests have treasure. As middle one has no treasure, the other two - first and last have treasure.
I know I have been greatly missed all this time. ;) Any ways, let us have some more fun with numbers and logic. Water, water everywhere This is an interesting puzzle from the website mathisfun. The cold tap in my bath lets the water in at the rate of 15 litres per minute. The hot tap fills the bath at the rate of 10 liters per minute. The plug hole lets the water out of the bath at the rate of 12 liters per minute. The bath holds a maximum of 520 liters. I turn both taps on, but forget to put the plug in. How many minutes does it take for the bath to overflow? Let me reiterate the statement by the original author here. Don't try this at home. Water is precious. Find the solution here
Comments
Post a Comment